Harmful Effects of Asbestos
What is Asbestos?
Asbestos is a group of six types of naturally occurring minerals which made up of fine, durable fibres and are resistant to heat, fire and most chemical reactions and breakdowns.
Health risk of exposure to Asbestos
Exposure or inhalation of asbestos fibres can cause serious diseases which the symptoms of these diseases are insidious about 20 – 30 years and it will be too late to do anything once diagnosed. There are three major health risks due to asbestos exposure which are:
– A cancer that most commonly attacks the lungs and abdomen
– Death usually occurs between 9 months and 3 years after symptoms occur
- Lung cancer
– Cancerous tumours occurring mainly in lungs
– Smoking can further increases the risk from asbestos exposure
– Associated with development of lung cancer
– Results in progressive breathlessness